RECENT AND UPCOMING ENGAGEMENTS
- Quinault in Cilea's Adriana Lecouvreur and Grand Prêtre in Massenet's Hérodiade, at Opéra National de Lyon and Théâtre des Champs-Élysées;
- Antonio in Mozart's Le Nozze di Figaro, Biterholf in Wagner's Tanhäuser, Don Pedro in Berlioz' Béatrice et Bénédict, Jim Larkens in Puccini's La Fanciulla del West, Der Einarmige in Strauss' Die Frau ohne Schatten and Tsar Ivan in Bernstein's Candide, at the Opéra National de Lyon;
- Holzhacker in Humperdinck's Königskinder, at the Tiroler Festspiele Erl;
- Concert and Teufel in S. J. Hanke's Die Teufel mit den drei goldenen Haaren, at the Salzburger Festspiele;
- Un Araldo Reale in Verdi's Don Carlo, at the Osterfestspiele Salzburg.
Born in Bangkok, Thailand, in 1995, bass-baritone Pete Thanapat is a member of the Lyon Opera Studio, since 2022. The Thai bass-baritone had the privilege to participate in the Young Singers Project at the Salzburg Festival, also in 2022. He also presented a public masterclass with Malcolm Martineau and had the opportunity to work with Piotr Beczala.
Pete obtained his bachelor's degree from the Mozarteum University Salzburg, where he studied under the guidance of Mario Diaz and Pauliina Tukiainen. He completed his master’s degree at the University of Music and Performing Arts of Vienna, studying in the class of the soprano Krassimira Stoyanova, and in the Lied class of Angelika Kirchschlager.
In 2022, Pete Thanapat was a finalist at the Neue Stimmen Competition, won the second prize in the 26th Ferruccio Tagliavino International Singing Competition and was a finalist in the 40th Belvedere International Singing Competition. Additionally, Pete won the Perry Nelson prize in the 11th International Hilde Zadek Singing Competition, was a finalist in the 6th Otto Edelmann International Singing Competition and participated in the SWR Junge Opernstars 2023.
During the season 2022/23, Thanapat performed roles such as Holzhacker in Humperdinck's Königskinder, at the Tiroler Festspiele Erl; Antonio in Mozart's Le Nozze di Figaro and Biterholf in Wagner's Tanhäuser, at the Festival d'Aix-en-Provence; soloist in a gala concert and Teufel in S. J. Hanke's Die Teufel mit den drei goldenen Haaren, at the Salzburger Festspiele; Grand Prêtre in Massenet’s Hérodiade and Tsar Ivan in Bernstein's Candide, at the Opéra National de Lyon. In this same season, he sang the Lieder cycle Drei Lieder nach Gedichten von Michelangelo by HugoWolf, also at the National Lyon Opera.
Pete Thanapat’s 2023/24 season started with the roles of Der Einarmige in Strauss’ Die Frau
ohne Schatten, at the Opéra National de Lyon, and Quinault in Adriana Lecouvreur (concert version), performed in Lyon, but also at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées, Paris. Then, he will sing in Elias by Mendelssohn and the roles of Jim Larkens in Puccini's La Fanciulla del West and Don Pedro in Berlioz’ Béatrice et Bénédict, both in Lyon.